Cultural sites in the département
As one of the main organisers of the département’s cultural life, Nord County Council is conducting a proactive and ambitious cultural policy…
The Musée départemental Matisse in Le Cateau-Cambrésis
offers visitors an exceptional insight into its Matisse collection and collection of the geometric abstract painter Auguste Herbin, one of the 20th century masters of colour…
Go to the website of the Musée départemental Matisse
The Forum antique de Bavay, an archaeological museum of the Département du Nord,
is an invaluable witness of Roman life. The recent renewal of the collection displays, restoration of the archaeological site and new version of the 3D film paint an even more startling picture of the life of this antique forum, the largest in view in France.
Go to the website of the Musée/site archéologique départemental
The Forum départemental des Sciences
gives the general public easy access to the questions raised by science and its applications in our everyday lives : diet and health, agriculture and sustainable development, biology and ethics, research and economics…
Go to the website of the Forum départemental des Sciences
The Centre Départemental de Résidence d’Ecrivains Européens at the Villa départementale Yourcenar
fosters literary creation. Since it was set up back in 1997, it has hosted 15 writers of a dozen different nationalities every year for a residence in the peace and quiet of the Villa and its grounds…
Go to the website of the Villa départementale Yourcenar
Establishing itself as one of the main organisers of the département’s cultural life, Nord County Council is conducting a proactive and ambitious cultural policy.
Beyond its two compulsory missions (to develop public reading and manage the département’s archives), the Département du Nord has extended its remit to other fields as well. By supporting projects on all the means by which cultural life is expressed and heritage in all its dimensions, through cultural mediation particularly among groups of primary importance (schoolchildren and disabled people for example), by helping thematic museums to develop and providing expertise and services in the field of archaeology, it is able to develop and promote an open and innovative cultural policy.
It is looking to consolidate and support the cultural development of regions in the Nord.
It seeks to be a “conveyor” of culture.
It works actively on promoting the cultural, artistic and heritage wealth of the regions and supports contemporary artistic and cultural production.
To meet its objectives, Nord County Council focuses on developing the cultural facilities available in the département.
It would like to consolidate and support the cultural development of regions in the Nord by:
- supporting local development projects that have a cultural dimension,
- producing tools for a balanced cultural development of the territory,
- stepping up its support for local cultural development,
- getting cultural networks working together.
It seeks to be a “conveyor” of culture, and therefore devotes most of its efforts to extending and diversifying the access of all Nord inhabitants to culture by :
- continuing its work regarding books and public reading, particularly by boosting its support for the use of new technologies,
- developing and structuring a cultural range of services of schoolchildren and young people,
- increasing access to art centres and cultural facilities for those the most out of reach of cultural activities (people settling into society, the elderly, disabled people, etc.),
- encouraging the upskilling of mediation facilitators,
- supporting amateur practices that contribute to personal flourishing and social ties.
It works actively on promoting the cultural, artistic and heritage wealth of the regions and supports contemporary artistic and cultural production.It is therefore committed to:
- recognising and promoting more widely the living cultures of the Nord,
- giving a demanding and ambitious image to the Nord by developing six département-level facilities,
- fostering artistic and cultural activities, including the most innovative in the regions designed for those most out of reach of cultural initiatives,
- facilitating rediscovery and readoption of heritage by restoring it, bringing it to life or through new uses,
- promoting scientific culture alongside art and heritage.